Tuesday, March 6, 2012

An Afternoon Roadtrip

Yesterday morning I called my friend and fellow artist, Kim Nugent, to see if she would like to go on a little outing with me. It's been ages since the two of us went on a road trip, so I thought it would be a great day to get out and have some fun scrounging around at a few antique malls in search of some little treasures.

One of the many things I love to collect is old religious items.  I've already got a pretty hefty hoard of little medals, crosses, prayer books, etc., but my motto is that you can never have too much.   That was my main focus of my search.  Unfortunately, the antique malls that we went to didn't seem to have much that was religious.

The time seemed to fly by as we were on the hunt, but neither of us ended up buying very much.  We had a great time, though!

Here are a few pictures of the things that I came home with....

 A smaller sized celluloid photo album with pages that are in good condition for $25; An old tintype for $10; A really pretty photo locket with black cameo for $8...

 A heavy brass crucifix for $10; A box of old bullet casings for $1; 14 religious medals for $5...

 A few other little odds and ends that were cheap...

And finally this little baby...An old brass turning pocket shrine.  This is my favorite item from the stuff I found, and I got it for only $8!


1 comment:

Tony Tyrone said...

aloha jill! somehow i stumbled on to your blog and i am so happy i did! we like all the same artists and i love your artwork! sorry to hear about your health issues, i am a hospice RN by trade, after 30 years and a destroyed back i am stuck at home with art/crafts/jewelry and way too many hours on the computer! i just wanted to tell u that u are so blessed in your life, surrounded by a lot of good people, tons of beautiful stuff i would kill to have! but mostly i see a huge heart that a silly thing like cancer in no way will stop u, just another life hurdle, u will come out of this stronger and with a special gift to look at life with real joy and love!! so aloha for now and look forward to more with you, angi in hana