Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Family Of Geese

"Happiness comes of the capacity
to feel deeply,
to enjoy simply,
to think freely,
to risk life,
to be needed."
- Storm Jameson

For the past three days, I've had the pleasure of being able to watch a family of geese in our backyard. It's a father, mother, and their five little fuzzy yellow babies. Each day, they wander about, enjoying the sunshine and the lush green grass. This is the first year that I've ever had a little family of birds that I can watch throughout the day. The dad is always on guard, and shoos away any other adult goose that comes close to them. As the day wears on, they go for a swim in the river. It is sooo cute!!! They float along in the river in a line...mom in the front followed by the five little babies, with dad in the back. Early this morning, I looked out the window to see if they were in the backyard, and sure enough, there they were. The sun was just coming up, and they were in the grass just at the shoreline. Mom was sitting in the grass with her head tucked down, and dad was standing with his head tucked down. I didn't see any of the little babies, though. All of a sudden, they decided it was time to get up. The momma stood up, and underneath her was a pile of fuzzy yellow babies, ready to wander around the grass! She must've been laying on them to keep them warm.

I love watching the birds in our backyard. My daughter always teases me that someday when I'm old and gray and living in a nursing home, I'm going to be the one in the wheelchair by the huge birdcage, watching the birds all day.

1 comment:

Dive Boracay said...

What a wonderful sight to see everyday. I wish I could have experienced the same. Thank you for posting.